Thursday, 2 September 2010

Make Way for Ducklings

Z loves to read books! The other day we were walking around downtown and spent a few minutes in the toystore. Z had a great time looking at all the toys, but was happy to leave when it was time. A few doors down is the used bookstore. We popped in there, and Z immediately settled into a little chair in the children's section. Twenty minutes later he was not as docile as he'd been when we left the toy store! I don't want to say he threw a fit, but he definitely was not happy about leaving!

At home we read books every day, and I've been amazed to discover that he is basically memorizing the books as I read them to him. Then, when he's playing by himself, he "reads" the books to himself. Here is an excerpt of him reading Make Way for Ducklings, which is a family favorite. If you want to follow along, the video starts with Z reading on the page where Mr. and Mrs. Mallard stop in the Public Garden: "So down they flapped."

7 comments:

Christie said...

Oh, how adorable! That's one of Aunt Christie's favorites too. I especially loved the part where he named the ducks. Made my day!

megarber said...

Yes, another aunt weighing in--one of the "graunties." (for great aunt) This is darling, and I laughed to hear him quoting it (Are you sure he isn't reading?) and inflecting it just as you do, I'm sure. I read that book every year to some class or other. I can't resist. <3

Yaya said...

Love it - love it - love it! I wish Grammy could hear him read it. I can still hear her reading it to me. I was always amazed at how fast she could reel off the names... better than I ever could. Maybe Z has inherited that gene.

MOM said...

This is so wonderful! How you will cherish these little videos in years to come.
I got my bedraggled copy of the book and followed along. So many lines he "reads" so beautifully. "I know all about bringing up children." ... and so do you.

Heismystrength said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heismystrength said...

That is great! We are reading that book in school this week and he does a great job! I love his expression! Good job Z!

I am having problems getting my post to show today! lol

Jen Lewis

Anne said...

I love that you shoot videos of Z sitting around in his underwear! LOL! His expressions, facial and vocal, are so great. Did you know that *you* are the one who introduced me to this particular classic? It's true. To you I owe my acquaintance with the cutest duck family ever. :)