Thursday, 16 February 2012

The Important Things

Z and I are reading Stuart Little and tonight we read a chapter in which Stuart is a substitute teacher.  I highly recommend it for all teachers.  My favorite line from the chapter: "'Well,' said Stuart, 'a misspelled word is an abomination in the sight of everyone.'" 

Instead of doing the usual schedule of subjects, Stuart decides that "it would be a good idea if we just talked about something."  They proceed to talk about what the Chairman of the World should do, if such a person existed.  Stuart informs the class that "The Chairman has to have ability and he must know what's important.  How many of you know what's important?"  At this point in our reading, we paused and I asked Z if he knew what was important.  At first he said he didn't, but after another moment of thought he declared, "Doing what your mom and dad say.  Obeying Jesus.  Asking if you can buy the things you want."  Wow, pretty good list!

If you're interested in what Stuart thinks is important, read chapter 12, "The Schoolroom," in Stuart Little by E.B. White.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Teachers everywhere love a good discussion!

Oh, I am so glad you are recording all these gems of wisdom. I wish I could remember even half the wonderful things you said as a child.