Monday, 4 June 2012

"Tell Me a Story!"

When I got back from St. Andrews and London (more blogs to follow about that trip!), Z asked me to tell him some stories about what I'd done.  These stories led to him requesting more stories.  The most common request now, usually at supper time, is almost always directed at Nathan, "Tell me a story of when you met Mama!"  He's learned enough now that when Nathan is done, Z turns to me and says, "Now tell me your part," meaning I should tell the story from my perspective.

This, plus a few other conversations, has got me thinking about good stories for children.  I've compiled a list, which is by no means complete.  I love all these books, but some of my particular favorites are in bold.  Looking at the list, it's clear it should be longer, since I know there are many more wonderful stories out there!



The Railway Children – Edith Nesbitt

Understood Betsy – Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Betsy-Tacy series – Maude Hart Lovelace

Emily of Deep Valley -- Maude Hart Lovelace

Carney's House Party -- Maude Hart Lovelace

Sarah Plain and Tall – Patricia MacLachlan

Skylark – Patricia MacLachlan

Baby – Patricia MacLachlan

The Tale of Despereaux – Kate DiCamillo

A Little Princess – Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Chronicles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis

Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling

Caddie Woodlawn – Carol Ryrie Brink

Little House series – Laura Ingalls Wilder

Stuart Little – E.B. White

Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White

The Trumpet of the Swan – E.B. White

Maybe a Mole – Julia Cunningham

Anne of Green Gables series – Lucy Maud Montgomery (the best in this series are Anne of Green Gables, Anne's House of Dreams, and Rilla of Ingleside)

Little Women – Louisa May Alcott

The Slave Dancer – Paula Fox

The Iceberg Hermit – Arthur Roth

I, Juan de Pareja – Elizabeth Borton de Trevino

Jane Addams: Little Lame Girl – Jean Brown Wagoner

Pollyanna – Eleanor Hodgman

The Witch of Blackbird Pond – Elizabeth Speare

The Bronze Bow – Elizabeth Speare

The Sign of the Beaver – Elizabeth Speare

Calico Captive – Elizabeth Speare

The Black Cauldron – Lloyd Alexander

Island of the Blue Dolphins – Scott O’Dell

Old Yeller – Fred Gipson

2 comments:

Simon said...

Yikes. I need to catch up on my reading. I've only got seven of those. (series being counted as one)

The Hitchcocks said...

Well, a lot of them are kind of girls' books, although that doesn't make them any less wonderful! Which 7 have you read?

C