Saturday, 7 July 2012

A Rose by Any Other Name . . .

Yesterday we narrowed our choices down to four, and then decided to sleep on it.  The top four names were:

1.  Syrophoenician Woman (a.k.a. Syro or Sy), after the Syrophoenician woman in Mark 7.
2.  Epiphany (a.k.a. Phin), after Epiphany, SD, a significant town for Nathan (you should ask him about it sometime!).
3.  Hendrika (a.k.a. Hen or Henny), after The Cow Who Fell In the Canal by Peter Spier.   She has kind of a bovine look, with the black and white markings, and a Dutch name seemed appropriate since we got her in New Holland, SD.
4.  Mama Jo Binski (a.k.a. Mama Jo or Binski), after Abe's nickname for me.

It was quite a difficult decision!  I liked #1, a dog name I picked years ago, but the nickname (oddly enough) seemed a little masculine.  I also really liked #3, since that was one of my favorite books with Z when he was little, but the nickname didn't thrill me.  So, we finally decided on #2, since she seems very much like a "Phin" to us -- small, sweet, with just a little bit of rascal mixed in.

No comments: