Thursday, 30 August 2012

First Day of Kindergarten!

 Z has almost completed two weeks of kindergarten!  He's doing very well and seems to be having a great time.  He has two days of gym, two days of music, one day of art and one day in the library.  The rest of the time is spent in his regular classroom and, of course, lunch and recess.  We are carpooling with one of Z's good friends, Jackson, who is not only going to the same school but is even in the same classroom.  Happiness all around!

Z's regular classroom is actually not all that regular.  He's in a Spanish immersion program, so the teacher only speaks Spanish.  Some of the kids also know Spanish, but the majority of them don't.  So far, Z doesn't seem to be fazed by it, and is already picking up the lingo a little bit.  A couple of days ago he said, "Mama, I know what muy bien means."  I asked him what it meant and he said "Good job."  I asked him how he knew that and he said, "Our teacher says it to us all the time, and whenever she does, she does this:" and he gave me a big cheesy grin with two thumbs up!

First day at Robert Frost Elementary School! 
Z kept telling us he was excited but "also a little nervous."




The kindergarten red carpet surrounded by parent paparazzi!
Goodbye, sweet little boy!  Off into the great world you go.

1 comment:

MOM said...

"Goodbye, sweet little boy." I hear the tears in that. I have those same feelings still for each one of you. But growing up is what life is all about. That dear bond of babyhood is never the same, but perhaps restoration will someday be had in the perfection of new creation.

I love that Z's school is Robert Frost, my favorite poet!

Kiss Z for me and tell him, Me amo. ...I think that is right. Or maybe it is Te amo. I need a refresher course. And tell him muy bien on learning muy bien. He now gets the joy of discovering a new language. That must be fun! I bet we could all learn a new language if we were immersed in it 6 hours/day, 5 days/week. I wonder if the teacher in introducing vocabulary methodically or just talking naturally as one does to children?

Love you, MOM