Saturday, 21 January 2017

Philosopher Z

Yesterday the kids didn't have school and Z was up before me.  When I got up, I asked him what he'd been doing and he showed me this:



He had been reading The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy, a book I'm reading for a paper I'm writing about Harry Potter.  The first chapter is about the nature of the soul in the Harry Potter books.  The author begins with an explanation of five different philosophical views on the soul.  Z's notes say,

"Life source view.  Very good view till the plants.
Sentince view.  More like the real world much like nerves.
Cartesian view: Rene descartes thoughg [thought] that the setinces [sentient] stuff could be completed by material causes.  We need souls to use language and formulate complexe beliefs.  Thinks animals don't have souls to what I understand.
Materialism: Thinks that the senses just phicical [physical] forces.  All mental function is phisical proces.
Sentimental view:"

He didn't quite get to notes on the sentimental view, but I have to say, I was impressed.  If you read the chapter you'll see he's dead on, but that most of his notes are in his own words.  Wow!  I wish I could get my Intro students to do this!

He then asked me which view I agreed with and I told him my view was more biblical and theological than philosophical, and had to do with the idea that what we call the "soul" is about the idea that God chose us to love and to love him.  When I asked him which view he liked, he said he wasn't sure.  He said he had to read the Cartesian view three times before he understood it.  I told him I have to read things over all the time, and that is just fine and a great way to make sure you really understand something.

Pretty awesome.

2 comments:

MOM said...

WOW! I can't really write that big enough. WOW!

Yaya said...

So glad you are thinking carefully about what you are reading, Z. Well done!