When I got back from St. Andrews and London (more blogs to follow about that trip!), Z asked me to tell him some stories about what I'd done. These stories led to him requesting more stories. The most common request now, usually at supper time, is almost always directed at Nathan, "Tell me a story of when you met Mama!" He's learned enough now that when Nathan is done, Z turns to me and says, "Now tell me your part," meaning I should tell the story from my perspective.
This, plus a few other conversations, has got me thinking about good stories for children. I've compiled a list, which is by no means complete. I love all these books, but some of my particular favorites are in bold. Looking at the list, it's clear it should be longer, since I know there are many more wonderful stories out there!
The Railway Children – Edith Nesbitt
Understood Betsy – Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Betsy-Tacy series – Maude Hart Lovelace
Emily of Deep Valley -- Maude Hart Lovelace
Carney's House Party -- Maude Hart Lovelace
Sarah Plain and Tall – Patricia MacLachlan
Skylark – Patricia MacLachlan
Baby – Patricia MacLachlan
The Tale of Despereaux – Kate DiCamillo
A Little Princess – Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Chronicles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis
Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling
Caddie Woodlawn – Carol Ryrie Brink
Little House series – Laura Ingalls Wilder
Stuart Little – E.B. White
Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White
The Trumpet of the Swan – E.B. White
Maybe a Mole – Julia Cunningham
Anne of Green Gables series – Lucy Maud Montgomery (the best in this series are Anne of Green Gables, Anne's House of Dreams, and Rilla of Ingleside)
Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
The Slave Dancer – Paula Fox
The Iceberg Hermit – Arthur Roth
I, Juan de Pareja – Elizabeth Borton de Trevino
Jane Addams: Little Lame Girl – Jean Brown Wagoner
Pollyanna – Eleanor Hodgman
The Witch of Blackbird Pond – Elizabeth Speare
The Bronze Bow – Elizabeth Speare
The Sign of the Beaver – Elizabeth Speare
Calico Captive – Elizabeth Speare
The Black Cauldron – Lloyd Alexander
Island of the Blue Dolphins – Scott O’Dell
Old Yeller – Fred Gipson

2 comments:
Yikes. I need to catch up on my reading. I've only got seven of those. (series being counted as one)
Well, a lot of them are kind of girls' books, although that doesn't make them any less wonderful! Which 7 have you read?
C
Post a Comment