Friday, 9 March 2018

Mysteries of the Universe

A few months ago we were talking to Papa John (Lisa's dad) about his experience as a soldier during WWII.  At the end of the story Lisa said, "We're all so thankful Papa John got home safely from the war!" And Nathan said, "If he hadn't the rest of wouldn't exist!"  I was quick to point out that I would exist, but not as happily as I do now.

This exchange has gotten Eden thinking quite a bit, and she's been trying to imagine various scenarios and their natural consequences.  Yesterday driving home from school she said, "Mama, if Papu (my dad) had married Amah (Nathan's mom) then their kids would have been you and Daddy.  So then you wouldn't be able to get married, because you'd be brother and sister!"  I said, "Hmmm, interesting.  Or, probably, their kids would have been not me and not Daddy, but some completely new kids that don't exist now."

Eden thought that one over for a minute and then said, "Existence.  I just can't figure it out."

1 comment:

Yaya said...

Yes. Existence is a great mystery of the universe! I am reminded of this: "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect" 1 Corinthians 15:10.

I love you, dear Eden, for articulating so well what we all feel. The mystery of existence is a great challenge to our imaginations, to our faith. I'm so glad you are already thinking carefully about your own existence and what it means. Remember also, that God himself tells us his name is "I AM." Ummmm....

Love you lots, Yaya