Monday, 10 August 2020

Montana Trip -- Woodbine Falls

 On Friday we hiked to a waterfall called Woodbine Falls.  It was a short but beautiful drive from our cabin.  We saw the falls from a distance (right behind an incredible ranch) and then hiked up to them.  The trail up to the falls was well marked and not too hard -- just a series of switchbacks.  But once you get to the falls, you can look at them from behind a waist-high wall, which stops you from falling off a really big cliff, or you can hike further up the big cliff, where there is no wall and not really a path either.  All four of us started up this "trail" until I realized that we were just inches away from death.  This didn't bother me so much for myself, but the kids have no sense of what gravity can do to soft flesh and bone and were getting soooo close to the edge and then complaining when I told them to get back.  Nathan also seemed to think that I was overreacting, but since watching them get that close to the edge literally made me feel like I was going to throw up, I decided to go back down to the protected area and pretend I didn't know what was going on further up.  It was the right decision.  The kids had fun (and Nathan kept them safe), and I didn't vomit into the abyss.






Woodbine Falls and Eden very close to the edge!








1 comment:

MOM said...

YIKES! I want to throw up, too, after seeing that drop-off where Eden was standing. I'm considering using one of the two pics with all four of you to update your family pic in our livingroom. . . . then again....