Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Still Crazy After All These Years

The lyrics to that song don't really fit, but they're the lyrics in my head.

April 12 was our 10th anniversary.


It was the middle of the ice storm and we were still at the Strickland's house.  We weren't sure if we were going to be able to do anything since we couldn't really ask a babysitter to come to the Strickland's, and Lisa's power was also out so she was staying with a friend.  The Stricklands overheard our dilemma and insisted that we leave the kids with them that evening and go out and celebrate.  So we did.

We went to a local restaurant called Parker's and had a fabulous meal.  I decided I should get some sort of fun, celebratory drink, so ordered "a pom-tini, easy on the tini," to which our waiter replied, "Um, ma'am, it's pretty much all alcohol."  So Nathan jumped in to help and asked if they could make a bellini for me.  The waiter wasn't sure, but thought maybe he could, so I ordered a mango bellini.  He came back in a few minutes with a delightful looking drink, but very apologetic -- something about it being blended incorrectly -- and said that if I didn't like it he would take it back and try again.  I tasted it, I did like it, and I told him so.  He seemed very doubtful and insisted that if I didn't like it I should say so.  I protested that I liked it very much and he finally left.  But every time he came back to the table, throughout the evening, he would eye my drink suspiciously and then ask if I'd like to exchange it for something better.  Finally, after the third time he did this, Nathan said, "What you have to know about my wife is that she's got a drinking problem.  It's impossible for her to drink anything with even the tiniest bit of alcohol in it quickly."  When the waiter brought us our check he said he didn't charge us for the bellini because he just wasn't convinced I liked it.  He looked pointedly at my drink, which was still unfinished (after being in the restaurant for almost three hours).  As we were putting on our coats I said to Nathan, "I have to finish the drink or our waiter is going to think I've been lying to him this whole time!"  So we finished it off between the two of us.  It really was very good.



For dessert we had delicious creme brulee, in which they put little candles for our anniversary.  I gave Nathan ten gifts, each one corresponding to one the characteristics I love about him.  And for my gift Nathan simply handed me a CD and told me to go out to the car to listen to it.  (I think he'd originally planned to give it to me at home, but since we had no power, change of plans.)  So out to the car I went and popped in the CD (and turned up the heat).  I immediately recognized Nathan singing, and it was clearly an original song since the first line was about Winchester -- our wedding!  I have several times teased Nathan because he's never written a song for me, so I thought, "Oh, he wrote a song for me!  So great!"  I was all set to pop the CD out and go back to the restaurant when a second song came on, this one featuring Perry.  And then another.  And another.  The CD had ten songs on it, all for me, written by him (apparently over the last 5-6 years!), recorded at a friend's studio.  It is, without a doubt, the most wonderful gift I have ever received.

What a happy ten years.  How we hope for many more.



1 comment:

MOM said...

What a happy post! What beautiful photos!

Great description of your celebration. Nathan's gift did sound wonderful. Will I be able to hear it someday?

The thing I'm most curious about...What were the ten things you gave to Nathan?

We've loved the one NathanNChristinaHitchcock...ten year now!