Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Inductive Reasoning

Z and Eden both had a great first day of school.  Eden especially was enthusiastic about the whole thing.  However, this morning when I woke her up, she was tired and clearly a little nervous about going back to school.  On the walk to school she said several times that she would prefer to go to school in English, since that's the language she speaks.  She also said some of the kids knew more Spanish words than she did.  She's clearly not used to being confronted with a genuine challenge.  (Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa goes to boot camp school with Bart because she wants a challenge.  Just as she's about to flunk out/quit, Bart gives her a little pep talk in which he says, "I thought you wanted a challenge," to which Lisa replies, "A challenge I could DO!  Duh!")

Anyway, I assured Eden that she would learn a little more each day, and told her that she could talk to her teacher in English even if the teacher only talked to her in Spanish.  She thought about that for a second and then said, "Does my teacher speak English?"  I was amazed and a little confounded.  The teachers never speak English in front of the students, and parents are sworn to secrecy about the fact that teachers can speak English.  Eden has never heard her teacher speak English.  So I said, "Well, you know, she only speaks Spanish."  Eden said, "But do you think she CAN speak English?  Have you ever heard her speak English?"  As a matter of fact, I have heard her speak English.  I didn't want to just straight up lie, so I said, "What do you think?"  Eden thought about it for a minute and then said, "I think she must speak English."  Wow.  It takes most kids 2-3 years to figure out that their teachers speak English.  Eden figured it out in one day.  No wonder she thinks she should be fluent in Spanish by now!


1 comment:

MOM said...

She's a genius! So interesting - the thought processes of children!